Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Moment of Awkwardness

I was told a while ago by one of the teachers that run NHS that a group (who needed a project) had been assigned me as their project.  She said they were going to be doing a small fundraiser or money collection, or whatever...so I guess I knew it was coming.  I went down to the lunch room today to buy soup (broccoli cheddar, not as good as my mother's).  I saw a few girls standing there holding milk cartons about a third to half full of change.  After I made my purchase, one of them (a former student) came up to me and said "Hey Ms. Tollberg, do you want to donate money to your Honduras trip?"  I laughed, and told her that I'd probably be donating plenty to it.  [Had I had coins in my hands, I probably would have, just for kicks.]  But it was rather awkward, seeing students (most of whom I haven't had in class) collecting money...for me.  It's one thing to know in theory that it's happening, but I'm not comfortable asking for money from people in the first place.  I can talk about the trip to no end.  I'll sit down with people for hours and talk about what I'm going to be doing, where I'm going to be going, the organization I'm working with, whatever.  But actually asking people to give money is a stretch for me.  After talking with me, many people are willing to...and some have passed the message on to other people.  I'm really passionate about it, I'm really excited about it, and I'm guessing it shows to a large extent.  But I still walked away from that, thinking it was really cool that this group of students were making an effort on my behalf (and they were asking everyone and anyone)...but also a little uncomfortable at the same time.  And these are the times when I go to God and say "I'm going to trust what you're doing, even when it's not what I would have pictured".  I envisioned family, friends and my church donating money...and maybe one or two unexpected gifts along the way to make up the difference.  I never pictured, never even imagined that my school would get behind me as much as they have already.  And it's barely March, I've "officially" been on this journey for a month (I don't count it as official until I got the leave of absence from the school board, because I didn't start really promoting it until then).  I should be finding out where I am in terms of funding for the past month sometime over the next few days.  I'm trying not to have expectations...but in some ways that's rather difficult.  I'm sure I'll be updating again when that happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment