Tuesday, August 16, 2011

If I had only known...

...what I was signing up for, I probably would have stayed on the sidelines.

Not with coming down here, I meant when I was up at the campo (soccer field) earlier today.  I had supervision duty today (well, kind of, I was filling in for someone else, but regardless, I was there).  I changed into shorts and a shortsleeved shirt (no teacher clothes) before going up there.  When I got there, three people were there, kicking a soccer ball around.  There were some kids on the playground as well, with a few adults watching them. 

I probably sat there for 5 minutes before the guys out there asked me to play.  Now I'm not sure if I'm supposed to play or not, and I said that, and they said it was okay...which after today I need to double check.  But I took them at their word, and joined them.  One of my students got in the goal, and the rest of us were passing and shooting on him. 

Somehow, I impressed them with my ability to play soccer.  I haven't really played in years.  Good to know it hasn't completely left me.  I had a lot of people telling me that I was really good.  Part of that means that I can get the soccer ball moving pretty quickly and accurately, I know how to pass, dribble, etc...all those basic soccer skills.  In the end, we ended up playing a pick-up game...it started as 5 a side...it went to 7 on 5 by the end (my team had 5), and I believe, if I could follow the score, that we won...though by the end of the game there was a lot of "self-called" fouls...so take that with a grain of salt. 

Anyway, it was a lot of fun.  But I think this means I'm getting drafted tomorrow when we play against the brigade.  Which I definitely don't mind doing, I enjoyed playing today.  I'll probably go up there a little more often now that I know (and they know me a bit).  I overheard a lot of impressed "ella" comments, and I was the only one out there that "ella" could be referring to, for most of the time.  And it was a good workout...hopefully I won't be out of breath nearly as quickly in a few weeks.  Walking around in this altitude is one thing...playing soccer in this altitude is quite another.  It's a way to meet people I guess, because some of the house dads were out there, and I was playing with some of the younger kids I didn't know really at all.  I knew some names, but that's about it.  So it's definitely good.  I just have a feeling I'm going to be asked to play soccer...a LOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment