Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday is here...

Well, shortly after writing the blog yesterday, I felt the need to go for a walk and be alone.  I was thinking through a situation happening to a friend back home, and I wanted time and space to process.  At home, that isn't a big deal...throw on the iPod and head in a variety of directions...here it doesn't work so well.  There are people everywhere...or at least everywhere that I know on the Ranch, and I don't know the area outside the Ranch well enough to go wandering.  Not that I would get lost, but it was getting dark, and being out in the community alone after dark when people don't know me may not be the smartest move.  Just a thought.  I started to head up towards the campo (soccer field) however I could hear people there, so I headed down by the school.  There were two people there, but I went up the back way and avoided them...until they decided to leave and saw me.  Which in the end was a good thing, because they gave me somewhere to go...they gave me very specific directions on how to get to the pond.  They also said change into long pants and sneakers, apply bugspray, and bring a flashlight...all of which I did (and appreciated).  The walk is mostly vertical...not so much that you have to use your hands, but your legs definitely get a workout.  The pond was great, and the solitude was much appreciated.  I was there for probably half an hour or more before I decided that sitting underneath really tall trees by a pond wasn't the smartest thing to do when a thunderstorm was approaching.  So I walked back...the flashlight was now necessary.  I think I've found a new favorite place...which brings my total up to 2 - the screened in porch and the pond.  [I'm in the screened-in porch as I type.]

Today went fairly well.  We had chapel this morning, which was an interesting experience, because it was, by and large, in Spanish.  I understood much of what was being said, and was given an opportunity to read scripture in Spanish.  It went pretty well, a few of my students later told me that my pronunciation was good.  I like that sort of encouragement.  It's definitely appreciated. I've had a few more conversations or snippets of conversations in Spanish this week.  I may not be as far as I want to get, because I do still primarily operate in English, but I'm seeing little steps, which are good.  I'm hoping that pretty soon I'll be able to understand the pastor at my church here without the interpretation.  That will be a great Sunday...whenever it happens. 

And now the gloriousness of the weekend.  I have no plans other than church and hopefully shopping on Sunday (I kind of need groceries).  Tomorrow I should probably try to make copies or whatever for the week, but it's difficult for me to get that motivated on Saturday.  I enjoy being able to take the day off!

No comments:

Post a Comment