Friday, August 26, 2011

I am a promise, I am a possibility...

For those of you who recognized that the title was a childrens' song and now have it running through your head, you can thank me later.  I'll explain where that title came from...in a minute.

Tonight we (a group of teachers) went down to the city...mostly just to get away for a night.  This is the third time I've been to the city this week...Sunday, Wednesday and now tonight.  I think that's a record for me.  Anyway, we were just going in for food.  We went to a place that serves fairly typical Honduran food.  I had flautas and pupusas, they were really good.  I would definitely get them again...and it was cheap...less than $5 for a lot of food...and in the end, Jen (the principal) paid for all of us...which was awesome and totally unexpected.  So then another guy in the group, David, decided that we needed ice cream, so we headed over to Wendys which was half a block away.  Being as we were in downtown Teguc, we did drive there, and when we showed up the parking lot was packed...people standing everywhere, etc.  I guess there was some sort of breakdancing organized and a car show.  Anyway, Jason, who was driving, dropped us off and eventually found a place to park.  We all went inside and most of us got frostys (the first ice cream I've had since I got here).  A few of the people in our group went outside to watch what was going on.  About half an hour later we all had finished up and decided to leave...so Jason went to get the busito.  Unfortunately for him the "car show" part had just started...so there was a line of very pimped out cars slowly driving out of the parking lot...nice cars, good paint jobs...one was intentially spewing fire/sparks out of the exhaust, others were bouncing up and down...and then there's the old busito driving in the middle of them all.  And the 12 crazy gringos piling into it like a clown car in reverse.  It was hilarious...watching the expressions on the faces of the people in the crowd...they were laughing and pointing and everything.  We were laughing for a good 10 minutes of the drive...just the incongruity of it all.  Here's our special talent, we can fit a bunch of gringos into a van.

So that in itself made the night...never mind that I got a great meal and dessert and didn't have to pay for it.  Then on the way back, Jason and Scott were talking about something, a chapel coming up or something, and Jason was describing the message that he was thinking about preaching on, and they were discussing songs for it, and the song "I am a promise" came into my head, but I wasn't part of the conversation, so I didn't say anything...until Scott started singing it.  Then I joined in, and Melody joined in...I think Jason was singing too.  And pretty soon it turned into a "what Sunday School songs do you remember" competition.  Most of the time, what one person came up with, most of the rest of us (if not all of the rest of us) knew.  Granted, with Jason and Melody that's kind of cheating, because they went to the same church/school growing up I believe.  But we were going through the list of little kids church songs for a while...the rest of the way back to the Ranch (probably close to 30 minutes at that point).  Notable mentions:  "I just want to be a sheep", "Father Abraham" which I chastised Jason for fully participating in, as he was driving and it requires hand and feet movement, "I am a C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N", "I've got the joy" (a few of the verses), "If I had a little white box", "This little light of mine", etc.  There were a number of them!  And then Simi started with a few that she knew in Portuguese (she's from Brazil)...and the interesting thing is I think for most of the ones she remembered, we had an English equivalent.  It was definitely fun times, a really good night.  And now I'm very tired and going to bed.  Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment