Sunday, January 30, 2011

Musings

I was greeting at church today, which means I stand in front of the building like an idiot and say hi to people who are walking in.  [Actually, I open the door for them as they come in, and I have a no-so-secret competition with the other person opening the door to see who can convince more people to go through our respective door, it's quite fun!]  Anyway, a couple came in (not to my door, unfortunately) and they looked familiar, but I couldn't place them for a minute.  I realized, after they had gone in, that I had gone to high school with them.  So after service, I went up to talk with them.  By that point they had made the connection as well (have you ever had those moments when you know that you must know someone because they're giving you the same sort of "wait, what do I know you from again" look...yeah, that's basically what was happening).  It was really interesting to talk with him (she got pulled into conversation with someone else shortly after saying hi).  Neither of us had known the other was a Christian in high school, we didn't run in the same circles, but it's amazing how being part of the same body (church body that is) totally makes all other barriers fall away.  It was really encouraging.  We actually spent most of the time just sharing how God has been working in our lives over the last 10 years, and laughing about how right about the time you think you have your life planned out, God hits you up over the head with something new.  And you're totally blessed by what God has in store for you, but all the while you keep looking at Him and asking what in the world He's doing.

And this morning is just one instance of the numerous times God has reminded me in the past month that He knows what He's doing in this whole Honduras thing.  Last summer the thought was "at some (nebulous) time in the future, I may return to Honduras to teach".  I think when I left I even made the comment that I might be back some time, but it definitely wouldn't be next school year.  I think in some ways God enjoys turning our "nevers" and "definitely nots" into "wow...sure".  God definitely has a sense of humor, and a sense of the ironic.  I vaguely remember in college being small amounts jealous that my older sister had the opportunity to study abroad in Costa Rica for 3 months.  I wanted to, but there was no way it would fit into my schedule with both majors.  I was having enough trouble trying to get all the classes I needed in without spending a semester in another country.  That was 9 years ago, I think.  So instead of studying abroad for 3 months, I get to teach abroad for a year...using BOTH of those degrees. 

I'm reminded over and over of Jeremiah 29:11-13 - "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord.  "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Then you will call on me and come and pray to me and I will hear you.  You shall seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with your whole heart."  God had this all planned long ago.  He knows how it is going to play out, where the money is going to come from, how the preparations will go, the challenges and successes I'll experience over the next year and a half. I just have to stay close to Him.  I trust that His grace is enough, His provisions will come, and His timing is perfect.  The irony (and truth) is that I have so many personal stories of how God's timing and provisions work, yet the moment it seems like maybe it's not working out this time, I want to take it all back.  You would think that past experiece would show me that God has it all worked out.  And intellectually I know He does...but there still are those moments...so conversations like this morning where I'm reminded of everything God has done for me and the ways He has guided me in the past are so encouraging!

1 comment:

  1. I would love to walk into a church door to see your sweet face! :) Thats neat that you were able to catch up w/ that guy from HS :) Yes, God does know whats up w/ the whole Honduras trip....there is NOTHING outside of Gods sovereignty. Even if it means moving in the hearts of people to get you where he wants you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete