Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Next Best Thing

I haven't gotten back up to the pond yet...but I did purchase a couple of books on my iPad and that helped me regain a good perspective.  They're books I own already...but ones that aren't down here.  I was trying to think through what I could do to improve my mood, and in talking with my roommates my cat came up...and my mind went from my cat (Loiosh) to where I had gotten her name from (because of course they asked)...and I realized that if I started reading some Steven Brust, it would probably help.  And it did...a lot.  I finished Dragon this morning, and I'm over halfway through Issola...I also got Dzur.  I can read and re-read those books many times before I get tired of them.  And maybe at Christmas I'll bring down the earlier books that aren't in electronic form.  Regardless, yesterday evening and today were good times.

After school today I did go up and join in the soccer game, which was fun.  And then I sat in "marching band practice".  Basically, the entire month of September is a Honduran national pride/history month.  Their independence day is in September, and there are a lot of festivities and programs that revolve around that...one of which involves a parade of sorts, so the older kids wanted to practice the drum cadences...except the drums are in the bodega, and they can't go there without supervision...so they asked Scott and me to supervise (they needed a male and female teacher because it was a mixed group of kids).  So we suffered through about a half hour of drum cadences.  They're not bad.  If they practiced as much as marching bands practice back home they'd probably be excellent.  Afterwards we talked with one of the families on the ranch for a few minutes and went home.  I ended up playing cards with Lucas and Hannah for a while (which is why I'm not yet done with Issola).  And that was pretty much my day.  All in all, it was good times.  [Well, except for the giant bug creature I just saw run across my floor...black, many legged bug on a white tile floor kind of sticks out...I hunted it down and killed it with my shoe.]

Unfortunately I'm not tired yet...maybe I should be, but I'm not.  So I may get a chance to finish Issola after all.  Or I'll find people online to talk with, or whatever...and regret it in the morning when my alarm goes off.  Such is life. :-)

1 comment: