Thursday, September 15, 2011

Feliz Dia de Independencia (de Honduras)!

It is indeed the Honduran Independence Day.  Which means I have today and tomorrow off of school (Day of the Teacher is Saturday...kind of fitting).  Yay for a 4-day weekend.  For those of you back home who are a little jealous...just remember that I didn't get Labor Day off last week...so it does even out eventually...mostly. 

Yesterday the kids had a parade, complete with a percussion section (all the high schoolers/junior highers).  We marched from the school up to the campo (it's basically one long hill...starting off as a gradual incline and then getting much steeper!), over the campo, down the road past all the houses and ended in the bodega, where there were cultural presentations by each grade level and then food and more presentations about the different districts in Honduras by each of the houses.  There was a brigade that showed up, so after that, we had the required soccer game.  We won.  The team this week (at least some of them) are from Freeport...so some of them at least knew where Cary was.

What to do on my days off...well...today I'm doing laundry.  That's kind of necessary...especially since I usually change clothes 2 to 3 times a day (teaching, change for playing soccer or just hanging out outside, then wash all the bug spray and dirt off and find clean clothes).  I'm also planning on spending some time today figuring out what's going on in the clinic.  Andrew and Simi are leaving for a time, and Simi was in charge of the clinic here.  She handed that off to me...I still don't quite know how that worked, but now I'm in charge of it.  So I need to go up there and figure out what exactly is going on, what this entails, and get a better feel for it.  Once I'm past that point, it doesn't sound like it's really going to be a big deal...but there will be a learning curve, kind of like everything else around here. 

Tomorrow I might be going out to Valle (de los Angeles).  [It's the touristy area about an hour and a half away.]  Melody's parents and best friend are visiting from home, so she's trying to get a group together to go out there.  It would be fun, it would be something to do to get me off the Ranch...and it's never too early to think of Christmas presents, right?

Saturday there's a party for Brayan and Yefrey who are both 18 and moving back to Tegucigalpa.  At some point in time Melody and I are making dessert for that (cupcakes)...everyone on the Ranch is invited to it...so we're probably going to be making a lot of cupcakes.  Sunday at church we're celebrating Day of the Child (which was actually almost two weeks ago), so we're having the services in a park I believe, and it's going to be more of a celebration thing.  Basically the month of September is a series of festivals, parades and celebrations.  It's been an interesting month so far with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment