Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Countdown is On...

In one week, I'll be a plane heading back to the States to spend Christmas with my family.  That seems so surreal right now.  Mentally, I know it's December, and that Christmas is coming, but it doesn't "feel" like winter.  I didn't realize until now how much I depend on external clues to tell me that time has passed.  Other than the fact that I've seen the moras (blackberries) grow up and ripen...well, not too much has changed.  I've been here for almost five months.  It seems very strange to say that.  When I think about everything that has happened in that time, yes, I guess I can see how it's been that long.  When I realize that I'm almost halfway through my time here...it seems way too short. 

But regardless of my feelings on the matter, time is moving, and indeed, I will be heading to the States in a week.  My schedule is already filling up, and I'm probably going to find myself posting on Facebook where I'm going to be for the day so people can find me.  Facebook is a wonderful tool...it's made it really easy to keep in contact with people.  Most of the days I'm back are already filled.  Four and a half of those days are going to be a trip to Minnesota (Friday through Tuesday afternoon).  It will be great to see everyone up there, since the last time I saw them all was last June.  I'm going to be going into school on the first Tuesday I'm back, because they're still in session.  I will be bringing cookies (so a couple of hours on Monday will be me making cookies to bring in...and thoroughly enjoying the luxury of baking with a convection oven, multiple airbake pans, and a KitchenAid mixer again...and not being overly concerned with the possibility of breaking open rotten eggs...).  So Tuesday will be spent in LZ, and I'll probably be hitting up Starbucks there at some time (maybe Tuesday or maybe another day).  Monday I get to see my cat again...I miss Loiosh at the strangest times.  We'll see if she still recognizes me.  Wednesday is currently open.  [I feel like it's dangerous putting that on here, because I'm sure it means it will fill up.]  It may turn into a day for me to go shopping and stock up on what I need to bring back down here...shampoo, beef jerky, toiletries, that sort of thing.  Yes, beef jerky is on the list...because it's an easy source of protein, and I've had enough blood sugar problems where I need to make sure I'm getting enough protein.  Plus, it's just good, and I haven't seen it sold down here.  Thursday is more cookie making during the day (the "official" Christmas cookies with my mom and Val).  It will probably feel like Christmas at that point.

So, in the next week I need to get organized and figure out what I have to bring home.  The rest of my schedule being home will probably fill up.  I’ll also need to finalize the list of things to bring back here, because I’m sure I won’t remember them all when I’m home…and then when I return, I’ll be kicking myself.  Cleaning my room and classroom would also be good things to do, because it’s never fun to return to a mess.  I’m pretty sure I cleaned “my” room back home before I left…that would be one of the guest bedrooms in my parents’ house where I was staying for the two months before I came down here…I’ll be staying there over Christmas, and also for a bit when I return, until my renter moves out.  We haven’t set a date for that yet, because I still don’t know what day I’m returning.

In some ways I’m looking forward to being home.  I’m definitely looking forward to seeing friends and family again.  I’ve missed people down here.  I’m looking forward to driving again, as dumb as that may sound (and driving on smooth roads…though maybe not driving in snow so much…).  I haven’t driven at all while down here, and that’s probably a good thing, because I won’t try to transfer Honduran driving skills up to Illinois.  At the same time, I’m sure it’s going to feel strange being there, and I’ll probably be ready to come back here at the end of the two weeks.  It’s difficult feeling like you belong in two different places…and don’t totally belong in either one.  Oh well, I’m looking forward to seeing you all back in the States.  I’m sure this week will fly by (for me at least).

No comments:

Post a Comment